Everything You Need To Learn About ETA Visas to Canada

Electronic Travel Authorization, eTA, has become a mandatory requirement for non-citizens flying or transiting through Canada. This document is only required for foreign nationals who are traveling to Canada via air. It is not required for anyone travelling by land. Canadian citizens or people with a Visa to Canada are exempt from the requirement of the eTA. Ensure your visit to Canada from the UK is a smooth, enjoyable experience please read on Canada ETA Visa on the new Electronic Travel Authorisation requirements for air travelers.


If the person is from a Visa Exempt Country and is granted a Work Permit or Study Permit, the eTA will be issued when the applicant accepts to apply for the work or study permit. US citizens are not required to have an eTA or Visa in order to travel into Canada. US citizens are permitted to travel to Canada with valid US passports. Green card holders who are permanent US citizens or green card holders need an eTA to travel into Canada.

An eTA is not required for dual citizens, which means that a person holds Canadian citizenship in addition to at least one other country’s citizenship. They must also have their Canadian passport if they are travelling by air. For permanent residents of Canada, an individual does not need an electronic travel authorization. They will however require a valid PR or Permanent Residence Card and a Permanent Resident Travel Authorization to travel to Canada.


eTA is a straightforward document that can be used to apply. Apply online at the Government of Canada’s website. The application is $7 Canadian. It takes less than 5 minutes to submit the application. Once granted, the eTA may be valid for upto five years. The eTA can be electronically linked to the passport number. The Canadian Government won’t send the individual any physical document to verify the eTA.

A valid passport, email address, and a debit/credit card are all required for applying for the eTA. The eTA will last for five year or until the expiry date of the individual’s passport. Individuals can travel to Canada at their leisure for short trips up to six months with a valid eTA. The Canada Department of Immigration receives the information electronically and sends it to the applicant via email.


It is mandatory to have a valid passport and any other travel document for at most 6 months after the date of one’s arrival in Canada. One must also have a new electronic travel authorization (eTA) if he or she gets a new passport. Once the individual has received his or her eTA, he/she must confirm that it matches the passport number. If they are not compatible, one must get a new electronic travel authorization (eTA).

This entry was posted in Default and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *